Hike.. Yes, our first blissful hike with the baby has been completed successfully.
Every weekend the same question comes to our mind, where to go. This Saturday morning, we had our breakfast and we both started looking up near by places and we finalized the place for the day to be Wissahickon Valley Park. He showed me the photos of forest on the computer; it was pretty awesome and I had to say YES.
As usual, we got ready faster probably because we have figured out all the things Ava needs and what not to miss out before heading out. Although I had to push my husband really hard to get out of this weekend because he got super lazy and I understand, he must have wanted to take rest. But then he himself agrees, if i stay home on weekends as well, I won’t feel fresh for the rest of week. Every weekend he takes us out and spends quality time with family, so we will be enough relaxed for rest of week to battle with our busy life.
It took an hour to reach state park and it has a huge parking lot. We knew we have come here but with baby; cant predicts when she will be sleepy or fuzzy. So among all the available trails, we choose the shortest loop and boom!!! MOM, DAD, and AVA are hiking into the trees.
I took care of few things to keep baby happy-
- We are taking her in a baby carrier, so she could look around. To our surprise, She was extremely happy becuase of nature, sounds of beautiful water streams, trees, birds chirping – everything was fun for her.
- Mandatory Hiking shoes.( no other shoes please; I had the audacity to walk into a trail with sandals – lesson well learned)
- Mom and dad’s shoes are from RIE store, they have a best hiking shoes collections- https://www.rei.com/product/119327/keen-targhee-exp-low-wp-hiking-shoes https://www.rei.com/product/763736/keen-voyageur-hiking-shoes-womens
- Wear light and comfortable outfits.
- It is summer, so I tied my hairs in two dutch braids and this braid is my goto hiking braid.
- Lightweight backpack for diapers and baby stuff.
- A small packet of baby wipes.
- Milk for baby or baby food.
- Lighter baby toys.
- Water for mom and dad,
- Protein bars to keep you energized.
.. and that’s is how we completed our mini hike and thoroughly enjoyed it. We didn’t try to go far as it was our first hike; We could always come back and slowly change to longer trails as the baby gets older.
This hike experience has pumped both of us very positively. While coming back, we were talking about how refreshing we feel in nature; we shared our thoughts and ideas. All the stress is melted away. Nature indeed has answers to all of our stresses.
So get up and go into jungle folks! You wouldn’t regret it… Esp, with a baby, it’s much more fun because you will pay more attention to everything around to teach your baby.